Bariatric vitamins are indispensable for weight loss surgery patients. Bariatric surgery puts you at risk for nutrient deficiencies, and most patients need to take nutritional supplements to keep their levels up.
With so many different products on the market, it’s hard to select the right one for yourself. But bariatric vitamin patches from PatchAid may be right for you if you’re interested in getting high amounts of vitamins and minerals, convenience is a priority, and you don’t want to risk having side effects from digesting capsules or other oral supplements. Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about your specific needs before taking any nutritional supplements.
Need for Bariatric Vitamins
Most surgeons require their patients to take a bariatric multivitamin for life. You may also need supplements of additional vitamins and minerals because it’s even harder to get sufficient amounts of them or to store enough of them in your body. These are some reasons why bariatric surgery patients are at higher risk for vitamin and mineral deficiencies than some other populations.
- You’re not eating as much. Your diet right now may be low in calories and carbohydrates. That’s good for weight loss, but it also means you’re not taking in as many vitamins and minerals.
- You may be limiting or avoiding certain food groups that have specific nutrients. For example, a low-carb diet is low in grains, which are often fortified with iron and B vitamins. And if you’re developed lactose intolerance after surgery, you may be avoiding foods such as yogurt and milk, which are often good sources of calcium and vitamin D.
- Some types of surgery interfere with nutrient absorption. You may be absorbing less of nutrients such as carbohydrates and fat, which is good for weight loss, but you may be absorbing lower amounts of certain vitamins and minerals.
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) has guidelines for which vitamins and minerals are at especially high risk for deficiency, and how much most patients should take.
Reasons to Choose Bariatric Vitamin Patches
Now that you need to take bariatric vitamins, which ones should you take? There are capsules, liquid vitamins, chewable tablets, and even gummies. But these are all similar in that you need to take them by mouth. Bariatric vitamin patches are different.
A bariatric vitamin patch has these advantages.
- There’s no risk of side effects related to digestion and absorption. That means no upset stomach, nausea, diarrhea, or constipation that could happen when you take pills or other supplements by mouth.
- They are convenient to use. You don’t have to worry about whether you’re taking them on an empty or a full stomach. Instead, just put on a patch when you want.
- You don’t have to swallow them. Whether it’s a sore throat after surgery, a dislike of the taste of chewable tablets, or a general dislike of pills, you may enjoy the ease of getting your vitamins by sticking on a bariatric vitamin patch instead of popping a pill.
- They’re designed to be used together, so if your healthcare provider approves, you can use more than one type of bariatric vitamin patches at one time.
Do Vitamin Patches Work for Bariatric Patients?
They may sound great in theory, but do vitamin patches work for bariatric patients? Here’s how vitamin patches work.
They contain their active ingredients in a layer. The ingredients are suspended in a matrix, and are activated when they touch your skin. They get into your body by a transdermal route, meaning they cross the layers of your skin to get into your bloodstream.
That means you don’t need to depend on absorption in your digestive tract to get your vitamins and minerals, which is great news if you had a malabsorptive procedure such as gastric bypass. And, vitamins won’t be competing for absorption using limited resources in your digestive tract.
Because of the way the ingredients are in the matrix layer of the patch, bariatric vitamin patches can have very high amounts of vitamins and minerals, and a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and other ingredients, too.
How to Use Bariatric Vitamin Patches
It’s super easy to use bariatric vitamin patches. Here’s how.
- Select an area of skin. The patch will stick better if you choose an area of skin without hair, lotion, or oil residue. Clean and dry the skin.
- Remove the release liner from the patch.
- Adhere the patch to your skin, pressing firmly.
- For best results, it is recommended to wear PatchAid patches for 8 hours. There is no additional benefit wearing the patch longer than 8 hours.
- When finished, remove the patch, fold in half, and discard.
- Repeat with a new patch the next day.
And don’t worry - the patches are super discrete. They even have an option with clear patches so people can barely see them! Or you can just use the patches on an area of skin that’s typically covered by clothing.
While you’re wearing your patch or patches, you can go about your normal business. Whatever you’d normally be doing during those 8 hours is okay, whether that’s sleeping, working, working out, or taking a shower. The patches are designed for living!
The Multivitamin Plus Patch is at the heart of our bariatric vitamin patches. That’s because it’s specifically formulated to contain high amounts of essential vitamins that are at high risk for deficiency in bariatric surgery patients, including these.
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin A
- Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
When you look at the quantities, you can see that this multivitamin patch is very different than a multivitamin that’s not specifically designed for bariatric surgery patients.
This bariatric vitamin patch is available with or without iron.
Other Vitamin and Mineral Patches
There are times when your healthcare provider may suggest getting higher amounts of specific vitamins or minerals from an additional supplement. We offer these patches in particular.
Weight Loss Vitamin Patches
If you’re a bariatric surgery patient, you’re sure to be working hard to lose weight. For those efforts, you deserve to lose as much weight as possible. That’s what our weight loss patches are designed to help you do.
These vitamin patches are specially formulated to support weight loss through different pathways. For example, appetite suppressants make food less appetizing so that you are likely to eat less. Metabolism boosters help increase calorie burn or normalize use of nutrients in food. Carb blockers target carbohydrates in the food you eat so that they are less likely to contribute calories.
These are some PatchAid Vitamin Patches for weight loss that could be in line with your goals.
- Slim Trim Appetite Suppressant Patch. Packed with herbal and natural ingredients, this patch attacks weight loss with the goal of reducing hunger. If you’re already eating lots of lean protein and non-starchy vegetables, and you’re still hungry all the time, you may be looking for help getting your appetite under control. This patch has popular ingredients such as Garcinia Cambogia, Green Tea Extract, Cha de Bugre, and Fucoxanthin.
- Keto BHB Patch. This is a patch for people on a very low-carb diet that leads to ketosis. The goal of the patch is to promote ketosis. When you are in ketosis, your body burns fat instead of carbohydrates for fuel, and creates byproducts such as hydroxybutyrate. The theory behind this patch is that supplementing with beta-hydroxybutyrate, or BHB, can help your body achieve and stay in ketosis more easily. On such a low-carb diet, any help can be very welcome!
- Natural Weight Loss Enhancer Patch. This has classic ingredients like Apple Cider Vinegar and Lecithin, as well as Kelp and Blue-green algae, which have been looked at for possible roles in helping with weight loss. The patch includes the enzyme Bromelain, to support normal breakdown of nutrients, and Vitamins B12 and B9, which are needed for normal protein metabolism.
- Metabolism Plus with Garcinia Cambogia Patch. It has Garcinia Cambogia, which has long been used for metabolism. It also has B vitamins that are necessary for proper breakdown of fat, protein, and carbohydrates, and use of them for energy. The patch includes a proprietary blend including Fucoxanthin Extract, African Mango Seed Extract, Magnolia officinalis, and Green Tea Extract. The overall goal is to support normal metabolism, which is essential for healthy weight loss.
- Carb Neutralizer Patch. This is a carb blocker patch with ingredients such as white kidney bean extract. If you can block the digestion and absorption of carbs in your diet, you’ll get fewer calories from them.
All vitamin patches, including those for weight loss, are designed to be used along with healthy eating and regular physical activity according to your surgeon and nutritionist’s guidelines. Be sure to talk to your healthcare provider before using a weight loss or any other vitamin patch or nutritional supplement.
Bariatric Vitamin Patches for Other Goals
Weight loss isn’t the only goal in life! It’s definitely a major goal for bariatric surgery patients, but there is more to focus on than just weight loss. You might be interested in other health goals, and chances are that there is a vitamin patch for that!
These are some examples of other vitamin patches that fit into health goals for many bariatric surgery patients.
- Eye Health Vitamin Patch, since eye health can deteriorate with aging and especially in patients with diabetes or high blood sugar levels.
- Omega-3 Vitamin Patch, since omega-3 fatty acids are considered heart-healthy and bariatric surgery patients may be at higher risk for heart conditions.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin Plus Patch, which has the building blocks of collagen, which you need for healthy joints to keep pain down while being active.
There may also be lifestyle goals that interest you.
- Immune Defense Plus Patch, since nobody wants to get sick, and you may be feeling vulnerable on a restricted diet, especially during a pandemic.
- Focus and Clarity Patch, if you want to be at the top of your game at work and at home, and while making weight loss decisions all day.
- Sleep Aid Patch, since good sleep helps normalize hormones, including those involved in appetite and blood sugar control. It also makes you feel better, which can help you stay active and make healthy eating choices during the day.
- Collagen Plus Patch, which has Collagen Types I, II, and II, as well as vitamin C, since strong, youthful-looking skin needs sufficient collagen to stay elastic and healthy.
Whether it’s healthy living or a specific health condition that you’re thinking about, be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about any concerns you may have. Also be sure to ask which patches may be a good idea for you before you try any new ones.
Are you unsure what the best bariatric vitamin patches are for you? The easiest choice may be to opt for a Bariatric Surgery Patch Pack. They’re based on common needs for the most popular types of bariatric surgery procedures.
- Gastric Sleeve Vitamin Patch Pack with the Multivitamin Plus Vitamin Patch, B12 Energy Plus Patch, and Vitamin D3 with K2 and Magnesium Patch.
- Gastric Bypass Vitamin Patch Pack with the Multivitamin Plus Vitamin Patch, B12 Energy Plus Patch, Vitamin D3/Calcium Patch, and Iron Plus Patch.
- Gastric Band Vitamin Patch Pack with the Multivitamin Plus Vitamin Patch, B12 Energy Plus Patch, and Vitamin D3/Calcium Patch.
- Duodenal Switch Vitamin Patch Pack with the Multivitamin Plus Vitamin Patch, B12 Energy Plus Patch, Vitamin D3/Calcium Patch, and Iron Plus Patch.
After bariatric surgery, it’s critical to stay nourished for health and weight loss. Bariatric vitamin patches can be the easiest way to get your bariatric vitamins. Just ask your healthcare provider which ones are right for you.